Monday, April 5, 2010

Must. Buy. Fabric.

I really didn't intend to go to G Street Fabrics on the way to visit my daughter in Virginia. If I had planned to go, I would have called someone from the area and tried to arrange a meet-up. When I left my house I had no intention of buying fabric at G Street. I swear. But I had too much time to think. As I was driving, I had almost two hours to come up with the following reasons to visit G Street.
  1. I had fabric for a top and no fabric for a coordinating bottom. It makes me uncomfortable to have "old maid" fabrics. I couldn't rest until I had a mate for a piece I bought last week.
  2. I wanted to see the new location. When I was at G Street last year, everyone was talking about the move to a new location. I prefer the new location. It's smaller and therefore it doesn't feel overwhelming.
  3. It's not like I'm in Rockville, MD everyday. If I didn't take this opportunity, who knew when I would have another chance?
  4. Traffic wasn't horrible and I was making good time on the road. Usually, the traffic nightmare in the Baltimore/D. C. area makes me agitated and tense. I timed my departure so I'd miss the morning rush hour. I needed to reward my terrific planning and judgment.
  5. I had Onstar GPS and presumably couldn't get lost. Since I didn't plan to visit G Street, I didn't print out Mapquest directions. But, thank goodness for GPS. I did get a little lost because of the construction in the area, but I made it with minimal headaches.
So I ended up buying fabric to be worn with the old maid blouse fabric. I didn't have a swatch with me at the time (because I never planned to buy fabric, remember?) so I had to guess at the match.
I think I did pretty good!

Once I got to Charlottesville, I visited Les Fabriques, my planned fabric stop. And, wonder of wonders, I didn't find one piece of fabric I wanted to buy! I liked a bolt of tone-on-tone white fabric on the sale table, but I didn't buy it. That is, I didn't buy it until I went back the next day because I remembered I needed a white blouse for the occasions I am a volunteer usher at the Walnut Street Theater.

Yes, I'm an unapologetic fabri-holic and I must buy fabric!

5 comments:

  1. No quibbles from me, I would have been with you every step of the way. Excellent logic and well rewarded too. OllieV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it! You've satisfied that must.have.matching.ensemble OCD very well. The stripe fabric is really nice - will look great in the warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love that striped seersucker. It's so spring sunny day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is really a good idea to buy a bottomweight to match up to blouse fabric so that you know you have at least one outfit from your sewing time, even if the blouse only goes with that one bottom. I sometimes get seduced by whimsical fabrics and make up a lot of "old maids".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like what you did with your fabrics! Go for it!

    ReplyDelete