Saturday, April 24, 2010

Quitting Cold Turkey

I have to quit sewing. A few days ago I was working on my white blouse (the one I need by the beginning of May) and my sewing machine worked perfectly. On Saturday morning, I packed it up to take to church for the biweekly sewing ministry. As I set it up, I noticed two small pieces of white plastic under the free arm. Uh-oh. I started sewing and heard a terrifying clunking noise. And if the clunking wasn't enough to worry me, as I sewed, the door to the bobbin compartment popped open every few minutes. Strange. The stitch looked fine, but I couldn't ignore the clunking. I went straight to the sewing machine dealer from the church. I won't have my machine for at least a week. I have to quit cold turkey. Well, at least I'll have time to get some housework done. Maybe.

15 comments:

  1. A sick machine is not good :( Hope she recovers soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear that your baby is in hospital! And that is why I have a back-up baby because the mere thought of not being able to sew sends shivers down my spine. I hope she is fixed up and back to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you need a back-up machine. I've had great luck finding wonderful machines at estate sales in the $25 range (Singer 15-91 and 99K or very nice vintage Japanese badged machines). Watch it - could be the start of a new addiction (ask me how I know :)
    -Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! Perhaps you could trace out a few patterns and cut into some fabric. Then you will be ready when she gets back:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I am so sorry! I hate to take my machine in to be serviced because how would I cope without it? I hope that it has a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch, that hurts.

    I also don't have a back-up so I know how you feel. Is the fix an expensive one?
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaaackkkk!! Hope she's back soon and in primo condition, without a big dent in the checkbook.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now is the perfect time to do some more tracing. New summer patterns should be calling your name. Your baby will be back in no time and you'll be ready with new patterns all cut out waiting for the machine. See how I can plan your sewing but not mine. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear your machine is in the shop! I hate when that happens. I hope the recovery is soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no! If I lived closer I'd loan you my Pfaff. As you can see, I'll take any excuse to not do housework!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry you have to quit. Perhaps you need a second machine?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that's terrible! Hope it's back and working fine soon. I like your blog. I've started reading from the start and sense a kindred spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no!! Just the thought of no sewing machine makes me nervous :)
    Hope the problem is minor and the fix is fast.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK< your title and first sentence scared me. I'm glad it is only for a short time :-)

    ReplyDelete